Friday, January 26, 2007

We are OFFLINE…for 15 minutes

Last week, I visited the post office to renew my driving license. I was so glad when Pos Malaysia introduced this renewal service few years ago. At last, I don’t need to join the never ending crowd at the counter of the Road Transport Department (Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan, JPJ).

My feeling of 'gladness' sunk last week. While waiting for my turn at the post office in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, all of a sudden, a sign “JPJ offline” pop up on the service counter window. I was exasperated because I have been waiting for 30 minutes. Now the road transport system is not working. Suddenly it struck me, it was 10.30am and that may be the time government staff takes their tea break! So I sat still and observed. Believe it or not, 15 minutes later, the “JPJ offline” sign was taken off. The two customer service counters reopened. Business resumed as usual. However, the only difference is the customer service staff were chewing while servicing me.

Pos Malaysia charges RM2.00 for providing such service. The experience that day made me wonder the purpose of the RM2.00. Is it for the convenience service (what convenience?) or is it to buy tea and snacks? Hmmm.

I would be a really, really satisfied customer if I was offered some tea and snacks too while waiting! Bolehtak, Pos Malaysia?

No comments: