Thursday, November 22, 2012

Gotcha, customer!

Gotcha! I got your RM250!
I've never felt so cheated before. Well I guess I didn't expect it from a company with such international status. A brand name that I trusted instantly.

The call center agent declined my request to waive off the credit card annual fee of RM250. I was taken by surprised because the reason I continue the usage of the Standard Chartered credit card for another year was that I was able to receive a waiver of the RM50 government tax. 

A month ago, I called up Standard Chartered to cancel my credit card prior to the annual expiration because  I didn't wish to pay RM50 government tax. The call agent said that the RM50 government tax can be waived with the condition that I use the credit card three times. I thought to myself, 'Ok why not as long as I don't incur any unnecessary fees.' So I diligently use the Standard Chartered credit card three times. 

Recently, I received the credit card statement and saw that I was charged with an annual fee of RM250! So I called up Standard Chartered to request for a waiver and the agent declined my request saying that I'm not qualified for it.

Hmm...then it hit me that I was conned! Standard Chartered enticed me with a waiver of RM50 so that I continue for another year but at the same time, slapped me with a RM250 later. Damn! It was done so slicked and professionally. I got trapped! I've always been wary about deals by companies. I didn't doubt Standard Chartered because I thought I could put my (blind) trust on them. Sigh! 

I instantly requested to terminate my credit card (over the phone) because I don't believe Standard Chartered deserves my business anymore and to avoid any new fees that I'm not qualified to waive it! I've lost RM250 to Standard Chartered but Standard Chartered lost my goodwill and (blind) trust towards them. 

Out of the blue, I realised why I'm still using HSBC credit card for the last 13 years because HSBC knows how to make me happy ie. every year my annual fee is waived when I request for it. Thank you HSBC for being so nice! :-) In return, I will be loyal to you for the next 20-30 years.

cc. Management of Standard Chartered,
Can you be as nice as HSBC? Boleh, tak?


1st update (30Nov2012)
Mr. Max of Standard Chartered called me today and informed me that they will waive of the annual fee of RM250. Thank you Standard Chartered for being nice.
On another note, Standard Chartered could have done a better service recovery by going the extra mile or delighting me. For example, informing me that my annual fee will be waived for the next 2 years or offering something I don't expect. Then again, it's a tough act for companies to emulate Starbucks or Ritz Carlton Hotel. Nonetheless, I'm appreciative that Standard Chartered fulfilled my request eventually.

2nd update (3Dec2012)
Max called me again today to inform me that he can't waive off the annual fee of RM250 because I requested my card to be cancelled the other day. Hmm....I'm speechless.
Nevertheless, I'm glad my unpleasant relationship with Standard Chartered has ended.



No comments: